Active Fire Time: 2 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
Famous for his smoke and spice flavors, our friend and James Beard Awarded Chef, Tim Byres transcended expectations with this pizza recipe recently, while cooking together on the Keveri H1 from Austin, TX. "A different pizza," Tim provoked, as we became intrigued watching him create this delicious take on a mushroom pizza. The outcome – delicious! So good, we asked him to share the recipe.
For those at home, we love that the mushrooms keep it as a great vegetarian option, and the flavors make it a very beefy flavor that meat lovers will enjoy too.
The recipe calls for macha. Macha is a Mexican staple, often referred to as "Macha Salsa." A flavor bomb of smokey, nutty, tangy, and spicey, your taste buds are going to love this. Incredible on the pizza, you'll want to save any leftover macha to drizzle over just about anything– eggs, guacamole, chicken or grilled vegetables- you decide.
Ingredients for the pizza:
- Fresh Pizza Dough
- Mushrooms Mix
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salsa Macha
- Olive oil
- 2 tbspn sesame seeds
- 1 ½ cup of a neutral oil
- ¼ cup of unsalted peanuts
- 10-15 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of dried chilles de arbol
- 1 tbspn of kosher salt
- 1 tbspn of apple cider vinegar
- 5-6lb Lump Charcoal
- The Pizza Pan(s)
- High Heat Gloves (Need Gloves? Get our here)
- The Keveri H1 Rooftop Rack
- Food Poccessor (for Salsa Macha)
Start by lighting your Keveri H1 in Classic Mode. (Correct, not Pizza Mode, yet.) This will last just a few minutes, and allow for heat to rise while you get your pizza toppings and the Salsa Macha ready.
Classic Mode for Salsa Macha
Once you're in Classic Mode, place the large skillet from The Sizzling Pack in the lower rack and wait for 5 minutes to get it to the right temperature. Salsa Macha is easy and fast, just follow the steps and cook with the door open to see everything you are doing:
- Add the sesame seeds until they look slightly toasted (2-4 minutes). Take them out and put them inside a food processor.
- Add the peanuts until they look slightly toasted (2-4 minutes). Take them out and put them inside the food processor.
- Add the oil, wait for 5 minutes to get it to the right temperature, and add the garlic cloves until lightly browned (5-8 minutes). Take them out and put them into the food processor, leave the oil in the pan.
- Add the chile de arbol to the pan and fry moving them constantly until they change color to a darker red (2-3 minutes). Put the oil and chillies into the food processor.
- Add the salt and vinegar and wait until the oil is at room temperature. Chop it with the food processor, don’t fully blend it.
Pizza Mode (750-840°F)
Now open the bottom vent and chimney to position 4 and wait for temperature to reach Pizza Mode, then settle at 2 (bottom vent), and 3 (chimney). This will stabilize, holding the correct temperature for a long period of time. Using the same skillet, and using gloves, mix the olive oil and mushrooms, cook them for 5 minutes or until caramelized adding salt and pepper. Reserve to the side.
Pay Attention. This Grill Mode reaches above average heat levels. Always wear gloves, and while pizza often pairs well with party - we encourage people to keep a 2-3 ft distance when socializing around the Keveri H1 for this recipe.
It's Pizza Time
Now it’s time to bake some pizzas. Stretch the dough with your hands helping you with semolina or flour until you have the same size as the pizza pan. Lightly coat the pizza pan with olive oil to prevent sticking and put the dough on top of it. Put a thin layer of macha sauce on the dough and add the mushrooms, put the pizza inside the Keveri H1 using the top rack position. Wait for 2-3 minutes and the pizza will be ready.
Once it’s ready, garnish with thin slices of parmesan cheese and enjoy a very special pizza.
There is nothing wrong with the classic tomato cheese combo for pizzas, but try different salsas and cheese to create new flavors. That's the art of cooking with fire.
Share With Us
Post your pizzas using the Keveri H1 on social and tag us @Keveri.usa #KeveriFam
***Get easy instructions for traditional pizza dough HERE
How to Light Up your Keveri H1 for Fast Grill Mode
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.